My experience with chickens and wee baby chicks did not prepare me for ducks. I assumed that it would be the same in terms of care and upkeep.
Boy was I wrong!
So here are my learning's about ducks.
- They swim in their water dish.
- They like to eat their food wet, which means that their water is usually a murky colour as the food has been sitting in it all day.
- Their wood chips get wet, and combined with the daily poop they become a sticky brown mess.
- They are not cuddly, in fact they will wiggle out of your grasp like an oiled snake.
- They like to tip their water dish, which means changing the water frequently - see number 1.
- The wood chips become cement like after two days.
Soon enough they will be free ranging, which will solve the issue for the summer months. However, I am not looking forward to the cold winter months...as that smell will be indoors for the season.